Articles‎ > ‎US Immigration DIY‎ > ‎

Social Security Numbers

You need a Social Security number to get a job, collect Social Security benefits and access 

other government services. Your Social Security number enables Social Security 

Administration to record your wages or self‐employed earnings. 

There are 2 ways to apply for a Social Security Number

 When filing an application for an immigrant visa.  When completing form DS‐260 

(online immigrant visa application form) answer “yes” to the question “Do you want 

the Social Security Administration to assign you an SSN card?” Also answer “yes” to 

the “Consent to Disclosure.”  If you do not receive your Social Security card within 3 

weeks of your entry into the US, visit the nearest Social Security office. You can find 

your nearest Social Security office using the following link

 Apply for a New Social Security Number Card. If you did not receive a Social Security 

card as part of the immigration process or you need to replace a Social Security card 

you will need to apply for one at your nearest Social Security office. 

Applying for a New Social Security Number Card 

You must provide original documents or copies certified by the agency that issued them. All documents must be current and not expired. Photocopies or notarized copies are not accepted 

Original Documents Required

Proof of immigration status: 

 Lawful Permanent Resident card (Green Card) with your unexpired foreign passport; 

 I‐766 (Employment Authorization Document, EAD, work permit); or

 I‐94 (Arrival/Departure Record) or admission stamp in your unexpired foreign passport

J‐1 or J‐2 exchange visitors provide DS‐2016 (Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor)

F‐1 or M‐1 students provide I‐20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Non Immigrant Student) 

Your Birth Certificate is considered proof of your age. However, if you do not have it or 

cannot obtain it, the following documents may be considered as proof of age:

 Your passport or a document issued by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS);

 Religious Record established before the age of 5 showing your date of birth;

 Final Adoption Decree (must show that birth date information was taken from the 

original birth certificate)  

Any person who is 12 or older and requesting an original Social Security Card MUST be 

interviewed in person by Social Security. You will be asked for evidence to prove that you 

have never held a Social Security Number. The following evidence may be used:

 A current or previous passport if you have lived outside the US for an extended 

 School and/or employment records showing long‐term residence outside the US;

 Any other records that may show long‐term residence outside the US

Proof of identity: 

 Lawful Permanent Resident card (Green Card);

 I‐94 (Arrival/Departure Record) with your unexpired foreign passport or admission 

stamp in your unexpired foreign passport;

 I‐766 ((Employment Authorization Document, EAD, work permit) from DHS

One document may be used for two purposes. However, you must provide at least two 

separate documents 

Application Form

You must provide a properly completed application form with your documents. You can find 

the form with instructions on how to complete using the following link‐5.pdf

How to submit your Social Security Card application

Take your Social Security Card application form and documents to your local Social Security 

Office.  You can find your local Social Security Office using the following link
Steven D Heller,
Feb 19, 2016, 1:40 AM